Whether a restaurant sits by the beach or is hundreds of kilometres inland, wind and rain will inevitably sweep their cups, containers, single-use cutlery and straws into our oceans and waterways. By reducing plastic packaging, restaurant owners are able to reduce their waste output, protect the quality of local food sources and protect local landscapes and wildlife – all while saving money and helping their business thrive.
Here are our tips on reducing plastic packaging for restaurant owners.
- Identify your plastic packaging footprint
Identifying your restaurants current plastic packaging footprint will help you determine how many disposable plastics you currently use, how much they cost and will allow you to appreciate the benefits of sustainable packaging options for restaurants.
These benefits include:
- Preventing litter near your restaurant and its local area
- Reduced packaging costs
- Lower waste collection costs
- Marketing and public relations appeal
- Getting ahead of local and federal regulations
- Community and customer role model
- Protect food from contamination
- Create a basic plastic reduction plan
One of the most important tips on reducing plastic packaging for restaurant owners is to create a plan. This plan can as simple as four basic strategies:
- Eliminating unnecessary plastic packaging and single-use items your restaurant operates with.
- Reducing the amount that you give away.
- Replacing disposables with durable reusable items.
- Switching to recyclable packaging or materials that will not harm the environment.
- Put the plan into motion
Replacing plastic packaging, straws and cutlery with wood, bamboo, paper, cardboard and other sustainable packaging options for restaurants can start this step. Some good ways to reduce the amount of items your restaurant gives away is to serve them only upon request – such as single-use cutlery and straws. Additionally, only give disposables out for take-away customers.
- Encourage customers
Setting up promotions or techniques to encourage customers to bring their own reusable items will greatly enhance your brand recognition and customer loyalty. Selling your own branded products like bags, travel mugs and to-go containers will also encourage regular customers and operate as a travelling marketing tool at the same time.
The good thing is more and more people are demanding the use of sustainable packaging options for restaurants – so a lot of customers will likely not require too much encouragement anyway! Put a message on your menu, around your restaurant and social media about your plan on reducing your plastic packaging too.
- Find a supplier of sustainable packaging options for restaurants
The market for sustainable packaging options for restaurants may be limited in your area – so it might be a little tricky finding what you need. Nationwide, however, the options are growing as more restaurants are reducing plastic packaging in the way they operate.
For example, Ozmas are a leading distributor and supplier of a range of sustainable packaging options for restaurants. Contact the team at Ozmas on 3277 9694 or email email@example.com to learn more about our products and tips on reducing plastic packaging for restaurant owners.